Table of Contents
We all spend one-third of our lives sleeping and making sure that our memory foam mattresses and memory foam pillows stay clean. A clean bed can improve our sleep quality and overall health in general. Our pillows accrue sweat, dust mites, and dead skin cells which are not a good sign of cleanliness. It is important to wash memory foam pillows regularly. But, can you wash memory foam pillows?
Let’s get to know a bit about a memory foam pillow. Memory foam is naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to bacteria and dust mites. Hence, a memory foam pillow is a great choice for all types of sleepers. The reason is simple and that is, it is pressure-relieving and conforming. We can keep our memory foam pillows clean. For more information on memory foam pillows, check out our blog on this topic.
What is a Memory Form Pillow?
To make a memory foam pillow, the Polyurethane foams are being modified to make them more viscous and elastic. This viscous-elastic material is used in memory foam pillows, which soften under pressure and heat. Its ability to alter shape under pressure and then return to its original shape when released is how it got its name.
For individualized support, this material is molded to the shape of the head, neck, and shoulders in order to provide maximum comfort. Besides these pillows, this material is used in a wide range of products, including spray foam, sofas, and insulation. You will get support with a small repulse if you use a memory foam pillow of good quality.
6 Key Characteristics of Memory Foam Pillow
Some of the key characteristics of memory foam pillows are as follows:
- When heated and compressed, memory foam has the ability to adjust to the curves of your body.
- They are temperature sensitive and resistant to germs that causes allergies.
- They are inexpensive yet durable.
- They provide pressure relief by distributing the weight of your body.
- You can share your pillow with your partner, as it has the properties of motion isolation. This means that if your partner moves during sleep, it will not disturb your sleep.
- These pillows require minimal maintenance.
Memory Foam Pillow Construction and Inner Components
The capability of memory foam pillows to adapt to the contour of your head and neck, giving support and comfort, makes them ideal sleep accessories. the construction and inner components of these pillows include the following:
The outer cover of a memory foam pillow is typically stitched with a variety of materials, such as cotton, polyester, bamboo, or a combination of these materials. This cover acts as a barrier of protection for the interior components and can be easily detachable for simple cleaning.
Memory Foam Core
A memory foam pillow’s core can be made up of one or more layers of memory foam. It has a visco-elastic substance that was first created by NASA for use as support and cushioning in the seats of astronauts. It is made of polyurethane with chemicals added to it to make it more viscous and dense. The memory foam can adapt to the shapes of your head and neck since it softens in response to body heat.
Density and Stiffness
The density and stiffness of memory foam pillows can vary. A pound per cubic foot (lb/ft3) is the unit used to express the density of memory foam. Foam with a higher density has a tendency to be stronger and more supportive, but it can also trap more heat. The indentation load deflection (ILD) of the foam, which gauges how much pressure is necessary to compress the foam, determines how firm the pillow is. Higher ILDs are often seen in firmer pillows.
Gel Infusions and Ventilation
Some memory foam pillows include cooling gel particles incorporated into them to dissipate heat. They also have ventilation holes to help you breathe better. By lowering heat retention, gel-infused memory foam can make for a cooler sleeping environment.
Shape and Contouring
Memory foam pillows are designed in different shapes and curves to provide the best support for the head, neck, and shoulders. In order to provide good spinal alignment, these pillows elevate the neck by lowering the head of the user.
Size and Dimensions
Standard, queen, and king-sized memory foam pillows are among the sizes that are offered in the market. Select a size that fits your pillowcase and suits your preferences.
Standards and Certifications
Search for memory foam pillows that are certified, as this indicates that they have undergone testing for durability, emissions, and dangerous chemicals. This accreditation guarantees the high caliber and safety of the foam used in the pillow.
8 Benefits of Using a Memory Foam Pillow?
A memory foam pillow is an ideal remedy for relieving back, shoulder, or neck pain. The following are the most significant benefits of memory foam:
- It provides support for the head and reduces strain on your spine and neck. The right support for your neck, head, and spine and proper alignment of the neck with the chest with the help of this pillow will bring comfort. It will also give you proper sleep at night.
- This pillow is made from a synthetic material that is organic and hypoallergenic, which prevents the growth of bacteria, fungus, and dust mites. If you are asthmatic or suffer from any kind of allergy, then this is the right pillow for you.
- Do you snore, and does your partner complain? This can happen for various reasons. However, one of the basic reasons for snoring is your sleeping posture. If you use a memory foam pillow to keep your head and neck in line with your spine, this position will keep your airways open and in alignment, and your snoring will be lessened. The best thing is that these open airways make this pillow breathable, allowing you to have a peaceful sleep.
- These pillows come with washable covers, which make them easy to clean and enable you to sleep in a clean and hygienic environment.
- Memory foam pillows are inexpensive and made from eco-friendly materials. Moreover, different sizes and shapes of memory foam pillows are available to facilitate the users during different sleeping postures.
- These pillows adapt as per the change in season. They are cool in summer and warm in winter to facilitate the user at their best.
- These pillows distribute the weight of your head, which is usually 5 kg, and align your neck with your chest to provide pressure relief. Remember, when you sleep peacefully, it also reduces your stress.
- These pillows are more durable. It means that you have to make an investment in pillows, and they will serve you for at least three years.
Who should not Use Memory Foam Pillows?
Hot sleepers may not use memory foam pillows, as they can make them sweat during their sleep because of the trapped heat inside the pillow.
People who are sensitive to odor may not use this pillow, as new memory foam pillows off-gas due to the chemicals in them.
Importance of Keeping Memory Foam Pillows Clean
Maintaining clean memory foam pillows is essential for both hygiene and better sleep. Some of the benefits of keeping your memory foam pillows clean are listed below:
Dust mites, pet dander, and pollen are just a few of the allergens that pillows may contain. These allergens can aggravate asthma and allergy symptoms, causing pain and sleep disturbances. A healthy sleeping environment is encouraged by routine cleaning, as it helps eliminate these irritants.
Aid to Respiratory Health
Clean memory foam pillows help to improve the air quality in your bedroom, which benefits respiratory health. For the sake of overall respiratory health, it is imperative to breathe clean air while sleeping. When you breathe in the airborne particles from dirty pillows, it may irritate your throat or cause respiratory problems.
Remember, dead skin cells, oils, and sweat all accumulate on pillows over time. These compounds may aggravate skin conditions such as acne and clogged pores. In order to encourage cleaner, healthier skin, clean memory foam pillows are a good idea.
Prevention of Odors
Sweat, oils, and other materials that collect on dirty pillows can cause them to acquire foul odors. Your sleep and general comfort can be influenced by such odors.
Keeping your memory foam pillows clean regularly increases their lifespan. The components in the pillows may degrade as a result of accumulated filth and moisture, resulting in quicker wear and tear. You can make sure memory foam pillows stay cozy and supportive for longer by keeping them clean.
Sleeping on a fresh, clean memory foam pillow may enhance your quality of sleep. Relaxation is provided with the help of a cozy and spotless sleeping surface, which makes it simpler to get to sleep and stay asleep all night.
A clean sleeping environment can favorably affect your mental well-being. A messy or disorganized environment may make you feel uneasy, whereas a clean and tidy environment fosters a tranquil ambiance that is favorable to relaxation and sound sleep.
Clean memory foam pillows help to maintain good personal hygiene and prevent illness by reducing the risk of bacterial and fungal growth that may lead to sickness.
How do Memory Foam Pillows Differ From Other Types of Pillows?
A memory foam pillow is quite different from other traditional pillows because of the chemical used in it. A material that has been chemically processed and used to make memory foam pillows reacts to body heat. This means that they provide a comfortable sleeping surface by molding it to the shape of your head and neck.
Can Memory Foam Pillows be Washed?
Yes, these pillows can be washed. However, their washing is a little challenging. If you will wash them in wrong manner, the properties of memory foam in the pillows can be damaged. You need to read the instructions of the washing mentioned on the manual of the pillow or wash it carefully preferably with hands.
How Often Should We Clean Memory Foam Pillow?
It is advisable to wash your pillows every month. However, if you or your loved one has been sick recently, then it is a very good idea to deep clean your memory foam pillows.
If you change your bed sheets so sprinkle some baking soda on your memory foam pillows and leave them in the sun for a couple of hours then use a vacuum that can suck up nasty dust mites living on the outer surface. Baking soda and sunlight can revive your pillow and make it feel fresh by absorbing smells.
Common Myths and Concerns about Washing Memory Foam Pillows
Since memory foam pillows are made of a different kind of material than standard pillows, washing them can be a little different. The following are some typical myths and concerns regarding cleaning memory foam pillows:
Myth No 1: Memory Foam Can Be Machine Washed and Dried
One of the most widespread lies is the notion that memory foam pillows can be washed and dried in a machine without any risk. In truth, memory foam is susceptible to heat and moisture, which can result in degradation, damage, and de-shaping. The majority of memory foam pillows are not made to resist washing and drying in a machine.
Memory foam has a propensity to absorb water and moisture, which raises concerns about water absorption and mold growth. A memory foam pillow may become a haven for mold, mildew, and germs if it is damp or not completely dry after cleaning. In addition to destroying the pillow, mold development can be dangerous to your health.
Myth No 2: Spot Cleaning Is Enough
While spot cleaning may be successful for little spills or stains, it may not be able to get rid of body oils, sweat, and dust that can build up over time. These particles can cause odors and affect the pillow’s general cleanliness.
A cause for concern is that aggressive cleaning techniques, such as hard rubbing or scrubbing, can eventually damage the memory foam’s structure and destroy its support and comfort. This can result in an uneven or lumpy pillow.
Myth No 3: Constant Cleaning Is Required
Unlike ordinary pillows, memory foam pillows do not require as frequent washing. The use of a pillowcase and pillow protector helps lessen the buildup of sweat, oils, and dirt, which lowers the frequency of washing.
Some cleaning solutions and detergents may react with some types of memory foam, which may lead to color fading, material degradation, or unpleasant odors. If you choose to clean your memory foam pillow, it is crucial to use gentle, non-toxic detergents.
Myth No 4: Memory Foam Pillows Are All the Same
Depending on the specific ingredients and manufacturing procedures used, different memory foam pillows may require different cleaning procedures. Always follow the manufacturer’s stated care instructions for better results.
A memory foam pillow may lose some of its initial support and comfort even after you clean it without causing any damage. The performance of the pillow may be affected over time, as the form will lose some of its properties due to washing.
Preparing Memory Foam Pillows for Washing
We all spend one-third of our lives sleeping and making sure that our memory foam mattresses and memory foam pillows stay clean. A clean bed can improve our sleep quality and overall health in general. Our pillows accumulate sweat, dust mites, and dead skin cells, which are not a good sign of cleanliness. It is important to wash memory foam pillows regularly.
However, before washing your pillow, it is vital to prepare it for washing. Follow the below-mentioned steps to prepare your memory foam pillow for washing:
Know Your Pillow’s Material
Before planning to wash memory foam pillows, it is necessary to know about the material of memory foam pillows. It is important to note that solid memory foam pillows differ from traditional bed pillows. Therefore, it should be washed accordingly, perhaps according to the washing instructions of the manufacturer.
Removing Pillowcases and Covers
If you have covered your pillow with any pillowcase or cover for protection then you must remove it before washing your pillow.
Identifying Care Labels and Manufacturer’s Instructions
It is always recommended to read the manufacturer’s instructions regarding washing the pillow in detail. In this way, you will be able to know the right manner in which you can wash your memory foam pillow. Moreover, with this approach, the warranty of the pillow will remain intact.
Sometimes, you spill coffee or soda on your pillow. Breakfast in bed usually brings this kind of mess. However, there is a cleaning solution for every mishap.
Just, take the pillow cover off right away and soak up any liquid using a clean cloth. Take a dish detergent and mix it with equal parts with plain water. Rub the spill with a sponge after soaking it in the liquid until it begins to fade. For the majority of difficult spills, this procedure ought to perform.
Vacuuming and Spot Cleaning for Light Maintenance
Due to harmless natural gas from the packaging, memory foam pillows have an off-gassing problem. You have to let your pillow air out before using it but if you need to get your head on it right away, there are a few things you can do:
Use a Vacuum
Use a vacuum hose to suck up all the packaging hairs and dust mites that may cause the smell to worsen.
- Firstly, if your memory foam pillows have small stains so, you can opt to spot clean instead of washing the entire pillow. Simply, use a damp cloth or detergent, and you are ready to remove the stains away from your memory foam pillow.
- Dark stains such as wine, pet urine, or blood- may need the use of hydrogen peroxide to weaken them and a clean cloth to wipe them away. Additionally, use mild cleaning ingredients when sanitizing your memory foam pillows.
- The easiest way of spot cleaning is to go with the use of baking soda and a vacuum cleaner. Memory foam pillows only have to be cleaned from the surface.
- Just sprinkle your pillow with baking soda and wait for 30 minutes to an hour for maximized odor removal. After it, use a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment to remove skin cells, dust mites, and other pathogens that live in your pillows.
Differentiating between Spot Cleaning and Thorough Washing
The difference is quite evident. Spot Cleaning is a regular maintenance step in which you identify the area of the stain and apply a small amount of cleaning solution to it. However, thorough washing includes spot cleaning as a mandatory step. You spot-clean the mattress, wash it with water by hand, and let it dry.
Hand Washing of Memory Foam Mattress
Always remember that most pillowcases are machine washable but that does not mean the same is true for the pillow itself. It is best to go with hand washing. A large sink would be enough to submerge in moderate water while paying attention to the main affected areas. However, microorganisms and mites can still be there on the pillow’s surface. So, when it comes to cleaning memory foam pillows, sanitize the outer surface. It will terminate all the mites.
Since memory foam pillows are not meant to be machine-washed like ordinary pillows, washing them can be slightly tricky to retain the properties of the pillow. Remember, its properties can be damaged by moisture and turbulence from a washing machine. However, there are techniques for cleaning memory foam pillows without causing damage to them:
- Spot-clean the stain on your pillow.
- Wash it with your hands.
- Rinse it properly and let it dry completely.
- Use a washable pillow cover on it.
- Take care of its regular maintenance.
Step-By-Step Guide to Hand Washing Memory Foam Pillows
Memory foam is naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to bacteria and dust mites. It is a great pillow choice for all types of sleepers because it is pressure relieving and confirming. We can keep our memory foam pillows clean. Prepare the pillow for washing as mentioned above and follow the below-mentioned steps for cleaning the memory foam pillows with your hands:
Wash the Memory Foam Pillow
- Large tubs or sinks should be filled with lukewarm water.
- Select the detergent properly. Never use harsh chemicals or bleach on your pillow.
- Add a tiny bit of mild detergent (about one teaspoon for a gallon of water).
- Dip the pillow in the water and allow it to absorb the cleaning solution in the water.
- Gently squeeze the pillow to get rid of the dirt.
Rinse the Water
The next step is to RINSE your foam pillow.
- Clean out the tub from all the soapy water, and then fill it back up with warm water.
- Squeeze the suds out with a little squeeze. Do not twist your memory foam pillows, as this will damage its fabric.
- Repeat this rinsing procedure until your pillow looks to be suds-free. Keep in mind that the right way of rinsing the pillow will preserve its shape.
- Once finished, drain the water and gently compress the foam!
Dry the Pillow
How thick the foam is determines how quickly the pillow will dry.
- You need a leveled surface that is well-ventilated in order to air-dry the pillow.
- Use a portable fan to dry it quickly.
- If you decide to dry it outside, find a day that is sunny, warm, and has a gentle breeze. It can take up to 24 hours for it to fully dry.
- Avoid using a dryer since the heat may harm the pillow and cause its foam to crumble.
Can Memory Foam Pillows Be Washed In The Washing Machine?
Memory foam pillows should not be washed out in the washing machine unless it is specified in the pillow instructions. It is because this pillow is like a sponge, and if you put it in a washing machine, it will be damaged and maybe waterlogged. The best way to wash your pillow is with your hands. Do not worry, if you do not have enough time to hand wash foam pillows; try spot cleaning instead.
The Benefits and Risks of Machine Washing
Because of its comfort and support, memory foam pillows are widely used, and many people are curious about the advantages and disadvantages of machine-washing them. Let us discuss both:
- Machine washing will clean the pillow in-depth and maintain a healthy sleep environment.
- It will prevent the growth of bacteria and mold to avoid bad odors and potential health problems.
- It is a convenient way of cleaning the pillow.
- Machine washing will damage the foam of the pillow.
- The pillow will take a long time to dry after machine-washing.
- The foam of the pillow will deform after machine washing and drying cycles.
Using the Gentle Washing Cycle to Protect the Memory Foam
Mattress toppers, pillows, and cushions made of memory foam can be cleaned by using the gentle cycle in order to prevent wear and tear. Being sensitive to heat, friction, and moisture, memory foam requires particular caution when being washed and dried.
Additional Rinsing and Spinning Cycles for Thorough Cleaning of the Pillow
Due to the sensitivity of memory foam pillows, they are normally not made to be washed in conventional washing machines, but you may still run additional rinse and spinning cycles to clean your memory foam pillow after reading the care instructions provided by the manufacturer. There may be special cleaning instructions for some memory foam pillows that you should abide by to protect the material of the pillow.
Drying Memory Foam Pillows
Now is the time to dry your memory foam pillow. let’s follow the instructions;
Air Drying vs. Machine Drying
Air Drying involves drying the pillow naturally whereas machine drying involves a dryer to perform the said task While air drying, you have to squeeze the pillow to remove excess moisture from the pillow whereas, in machine drying, the machine will perform the same task. Although, machine drying is convenient yet it is suggested to air dry the pillow to avoid damage to the pillow. However, if you prefer to use a machine dryer and the manufacturer of the pillow allows it then always get a dryer that has low-heat seating in it.
3 Tips to Maintain Memory Foam Pillows
Tips to maintain your memory foam pillow are listed below:
- Plan your washing and cleaning routine. It is advisable to spot-clean the mattress when needed and wash it once a month at least.
- Always use pillowcases and covers to keep your pillow clean and protected.
- Last but not least, when you think that it is the time to replace your pillow then replace it after conducting an online search about the vendors. Always read reviews about the selected vendors of the memory foam pillows before making a purchase.
Conclusion on Can you wash memory foam pillow
Now you know how to clean or wash memory foam pillows. You can adapt the elaborated ways to keep your pillows clean. Remember, it is essential to keep clean your sheets as well as pillows to enjoy a healthy sleep.
Embark on a quest for sleep perfection with our expert Mattresses and Pillow reviews – find your way to our homepage for a sleep revolution.